I’m an adult and I think I might have ADHD. What can I do next?

  Back to Ask Us | Email a question to HeretoHelp

Author: Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division


Ask Us is for readers who want to take charge of their well-being, support a friend or loved one, find good help, or just learn more about mental health and substance use. Here, the information and resource experts at HeretoHelp will answer the questions that we’re asked most often. We`ll offer tips and information, and we`ll connect you with help in BC, Canada. If you have a question you’d like to ask, email us at askus@heretohelp.bc.ca, tweet @heretohelpbc, or log in to HeretoHelp and post a comment on this page.

While we think of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder as an illness that affects children, it can last into adulthood—and some people aren’t diagnosed until much later in life.

ADHD is diagnosed like any other mental illness, so your family doctor is a good place to start. Your family doctor may be able to assess your mental health and start treatment, if needed, or they may refer you to more specialized mental health services.

There are a few organizations that can help you find good resources and find some support:

The Canadian Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Resource Alliance (CADDRA) is an organization that supports health professionals who research ADHD, treat and support people diagnosed with ADHD, and trains professionals. In the ‘Public Info’ section of their website, you’ll find more information on adult ADHD and the assessment process. You’ll also find extensive resources and recommended publications.

The Centre for ADHD Awareness, Canada provides education and advocacy for Canadians who experience ADHD. They have a section on their website for adults, including information on symptoms and assessments, treatments, ADHD in the workplace, resources, and a reading list.

CHADD Vancouver offers a monthly support group for adults in the Vancouver area.

Where can I learn more?