People ask us questions online and in emails. They want answers from people they trust.
If you have a question you’d like to ask, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, tweet @HeretoHelpBC, or post your comment through our contact form. We will answer all emails we receive, and we’ll post common or frequently asked questions here. No identifying information will ever be revealed about you or your situation.
This section is for readers who want to take charge of their well-being, support a friend or loved one, find good help, or just learn more about mental health and substance. Here, you’ll find our answers from the information and resource experts at HeretoHelp to questions that we are asked most often, along with resources to help you learn more and connect to help in BC, Canada. We will add a new questions and answers each month.
If you’d like to discuss similar topics with others, check out our list of discussion forums to talk with peers online.
Ask Us...about finding help
- I’m worried about my child or teenager. Where can I find help?
- How can I find a doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, or counsellor?
- Where can I find free or low-cost mental health services like counselling or psychiatric medication?
- An adult in my life seems ill and won’t find help. What can I do?
- What's the difference between CBT and DBT?
- What's the difference between a psychiatrist and a registered psychologist?
- What's the difference between psychotherapy and counselling?
- Where can I find self-help materials for depression?
- Where can I find self-help materials for anxiety?
Ask Us...about supports and assistance
Ask Us...about mental health and well-being
- What's the difference between mental health and mental illness?
- I have thoughts of suicide, or someone I care about is talking about suicide. What should I do?
- Someone I care about has a brain injury. Where can I find more information?
- Where can I find information and help for borderline personality disorder?
- Where can I find more information about depression?
- What’s the difference between anxiety and an anxiety disorder?
- What's the difference between anxiety and stress?
- What's the difference between sadness and depression?
- What's the difference between antidepressants?
- What's the difference between psychosis and schizophrenia?
- What’s the difference between dissociative identity disorder (multiple personality disorder) and schizophrenia?
- Someone I love has been diagnosed with depression. How can I help?
- Someone I love has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. How can I help?
- I’m a young person and one of my parents has a mental illness. What can I do?
- I’m an adult and I think I might have ADHD. What can I do next?
- I’m having a hard time coping with a physical health problem. Where can I find help?
- I was prescribed an antidepressant or other psychiatric medication but I don’t think it’s working. What can I do?
- What is dysthymia or persistent depressive disorder?
- What is cyclothymic disorder?
- What does rapid cycling mean?
- What is schizoid personality disorder?
- What is antisocial personality disorder?
- What is obsessive-compulsive personality disorder?
Ask Us...about substance use
- When is substance use a problem? Where can I go for help?
- What’s the difference between substance use and addiction?
- How can I find help for an alcohol or drug use problem?
- How do I know if I'm drinking too much?
- If cannabis is dangerous, why are we legalizing it?
- How can I convince my kids not to use drugs?
Ask Us is not medical advice. While we strive to provide quality information and refer you to helpful resources, our responses may not apply to each person’s unique situation. Please talk with your health care team if you have treatment-related questions or concerns.