Skip to main content

Questions and Answers

How can I find a doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, or counsellor?


Author: Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division


You can find a registered psychologist through the BC Psychological Association and the College of Psychologists of BC.To find a family doctor (general physician), visit the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC to use their Find a Physician tool. You can also see a family doctor at a local walk-in clinic, though it’s helpful to find a regular doctor if you have ongoing care needs. You can also find a psychiatrist through the College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC. Be aware that you almost always need a doctor’s referral to see a psychiatrist.

To find a clinical counsellor, visit the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors.

For more on the differences between these service providers, see the article The Right Path for You: Finding your way to and through services in BC from the Finding the Right Help – Navigating the System issue of Visions Journal.


About the author

cmha bc logo

The Canadian Mental Health Association promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing a mental illness through public education, community-based research, advocacy, and direct services. Visit


Q&A is for readers who want to take charge of their well-being, support a friend or loved one, find good help, or just learn more about mental health and substance use. Here, the information and resource experts at HeretoHelp will answer the questions that we’re asked most often. We'll offer tips and information, and we'll connect you with help in BC, Canada. If you have a question you’d like to ask, email us at [email protected], tweet @heretohelpbc, or log in to HeretoHelp and post a comment on this page.


Stay Connected

Sign up for our various e-newsletters featuring mental health and substance use resources.