How can I see a psychologist?

  Back to Ask Us | Email a question to HeretoHelp

Author: Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division


Ask Us is for readers who want to take charge of their well-being, support a friend or loved one, find good help, or just learn more about mental health and substance use. Here, the information and resource experts at HeretoHelp will answer the questions that we’re asked most often. We`ll offer tips and information, and we`ll connect you with help in BC, Canada. If you have a question you’d like to ask, email us at, tweet @heretohelpbc, or log in to HeretoHelp and post a comment on this page.

To find a Registered Psychologist, visit the BC Psychological Association at You can make an appointment on your own. You don’t need a doctor’s referral to see a psychologist.

Registered Psychologists are not usually covered by MSP, so you’ll have to pay for the cost of the appointment yourself. Workplace extended health benefits or Employee (Family) Assistance Programs may cover some costs. Some psychologists offer a sliding scale based on your income. If you’re facing financial hardship, you can ask when you make the appointment.

If you want to learn more about lower-cost options to access counselling (though not usually by Registered Psychologists), email with your location and our information and referrals team can see what options there may be in your community.

If you see a Registered Psychologist through a public mental health centre like a mental health team or outpatient psychiatry program, it will still be covered by MSP. Talk to your care provider if you have questions or want to learn more.


About the author

cmha bc logo

The Canadian Mental Health Association promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing a mental illness through public education, community-based research, advocacy, and direct services. Visit