Skip to main content

Mental Health

COVID-19 Mental Health Supports


Author: Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division


Doctors in BC continue to ask people to seek medical help when they need it—don't put off going to a doctor, clinic, or hospital if you are unwell. If you think you have a mental illness or start to experience new or worsening symptoms of a mental illness, seek help! Talk to your family doctor or contact your mental health care provider. If you don't have a family doctor, you can contact a walk-in clinic. Some clinics ask that patients call first to consult with a doctor and some clinics have changed their operating hours, so it's a good idea to check with your usual walk-in clinic. You can find walk-in clinics, mental health intakes, and other services through HealthLink BC.

Free psychotherapy or counselling

Adults and older adults
Post-secondary students
  • Free single-session counselling and referrals through Here2Talk: download the Here2Talk app, call 1-877-857-3397 (or 604-642-5212 in the Lower Mainland), or visit

Young people
  • For young people to age 20, talk to a counsellor through Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 or chat at (available 24/7)

  • For youth ages 12-24, talk with a counsellor through Foundry Virtual. Visit

Paid psychotherapy or counselling

Courses and programs

  • BounceBack from the Canadian Mental Health Association BC Division is a self-management course for people who experience low to moderate depression or anxiety. It's offered in two different formats: you can complete the course online on your own or work with a coach who can help motivate you, solve problems, and work through the materials

  • Living Life to the Full from the Canadian Mental Health Association BC Division is a fun and interactive course that uses principles based in cognitive-behavioural therapy to help people live well, manage stress, and build confidence. Free courses will be offered online starting in May

  • Kelty's Key free self-help courses for anxiety, panic, depression, chronic pain, complicated grief, substance use, family support, and insomnia

  • For youth ages 15-18, Bounce Back Youth from the Canadian Mental Health Association BC Division helps people with low mood, depression, or anxiety learn new skills to take care of their mental health. You can take the course on your own online or with a telephone coach.

Crisis lines, help lines, and online chat platforms
  • Call the BC Mental Health Support Line at 310-6789 (always open)

  • Call 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) to talk with a trained volunteer (always open)

  • For a list of local crisis lines, visit

Older adults
  • Call the Seniors Distress Line at 604-872-1234 (always open)

Young people
  • Chat online with a volunteer at (daily between noon and 1:00am)

  • For young people to age 20, you can talk to a counsellor through Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 or chat at (always open)

  • Text WELLNESS to 686868 for crisis support through Wellness Together Canada

Family caregivers
  • Talk to a Family Caregivers of BC supporter through the Caregiver Support Line at 1-877-520-3267 (Monday – Friday from 8:30 am - 7:00 pm)

Healthcare providers
  • The Mobile Response Team is available 24/7 to support the mental well-being and psychological safety of frontline healthcare workers who are experiencing distress and mental health concerns in response to COVID-19. Call 1-888-686-3022 or email [email protected]

  • Text FRONTLINE to 741741 for crisis support through Wellness Together Canada

Indigenous people
  • 24 Hour Crisis Line from KUU-US Crisis Line Society: adults and Elders can call 250-723-4050 and children and youth can call 250-723-2040 to talk to someone at any time. Visit for more information

Community services and support groups

  • Visit or call 2-1-1 for information and referrals to community service providers in BC, including mental health and substance use supports, housing, supports for families, supports for Indigenous people, and supports for immigrants and refugees

  • For information about substance use services and referrals to local services (including virtual meetings), call the Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service at 604-660-9382 (in the Lower Mainland) or 1-800-663-1441 (in the rest of BC)

  • Mood Disorders Association of BC support groups will move to online meetings. Contact your local facilitator for updates and more information

  • Regional educators and branches from the BC Schizophrenia Society continue to help families and caregivers. Contact your local branch for more

Older adults
  • Find local service providers through Better at Home. You can also call the Better at Home provincial office at 604-268-1312

Young people
  • For children and youth up to age 18, Child and Youth Mental Health teams from the Ministry of Children and Family Development offer phone and virtual appointments. Learn more and find your local office

  • For youth ages 12-24, contact your local Foundry Centre. Foundry Centres are located in Abbotsford, Campbell River, Kelowna, North and West Vancouver, Penticton, Prince George, Vancouver, and Victoria. Foundry Virtual is available across BC

Self-help and self-management


About the author

cmha bc logo

The Canadian Mental Health Association promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing a mental illness through public education, community-based research, advocacy, and direct services. Visit

Stay Connected

Sign up for our various e-newsletters featuring mental health and substance use resources.

  • eVisions: BC's Mental Health and Substance Use Journal, a theme-based magazine
  • Healthy Minds/Healthy Campuses events and resources
  • Within Reach: Resources from HeretoHelp
  • Jessie's Legacy eating disorders prevention resources, events and information

Sign up now