Skip to main content

Questions and Answers

How can I see a psychiatrist?


Author: Canadian Mental Health Association, BC Division


A psychiatrist is a specialist doctor. In BC, you need to ask your doctor for a referral. If you don't see a regular family doctor, you can ask any doctor at a walk-in clinic for a referral.

In some cases, you may be able to "self-refer" or make an appointment with a mental health program yourself, but that may not get you access to a psychiatrist. Contact your local mental health centre to see what's available in your area. Call HealthlinkBC at 811 to talk with a health services navigator or visit and use the Find Health Service tool.


About the author

cmha bc logo

The Canadian Mental Health Association promotes the mental health of all and supports the resilience and recovery of people experiencing a mental illness through public education, community-based research, advocacy, and direct services. Visit


Q&A is for readers who want to take charge of their well-being, support a friend or loved one, find good help, or just learn more about mental health and substance use. Here, the information and resource experts at HeretoHelp will answer the questions that we're asked most often. We'll offer tips and information, and we'll connect you with help in BC, Canada. If you have a question you’d like to ask, email us at [email protected].


Stay Connected

Sign up for our various e-newsletters featuring mental health and substance use resources.

  • eVisions: BC's Mental Health and Substance Use Journal, a theme-based magazine
  • Healthy Minds/Healthy Campuses events and resources
  • Within Reach: Resources from HeretoHelp
  • Jessie's Legacy eating disorders prevention resources, events and information

Sign up now